Monday, July 28, 2014

Tsim Chai Kee in Central, Hong Kong Two Topping Noodles for Double the Taste


It was a rainy afternoon when Jay and I arrived in Hong Kong -- he from Manila and me from my meeting in Kuala Lumpur.  We hurriedly dropped our bags in our room at J Plus Hotel in Causeway Bay before we headed out for a late lunch.



Typhoon Glenda or Rammasun had just left Manila and was now whistling through China.  For such a wet day, the perfect mid afternoon meal seemed to be a bowl of hot noodle soup.  
From Causeway bay, we took the MTR to Central,  walked through blustery winds from the IFC Mall clear across to Wellington Street where Tsim Chai Kee lay in wait.


I had tried this popular wonton noodle shop last year as it was the first stop on the HK Foodie Tour.
I promised Jay he would be in for treat.  On this visit, I decided to try the two toppings noodle bowl, choosing the shrimp wontons and the handmade fish balls.  I wasn't quite prepared for how humongous the finely minced fish balls were.  For just HK$31, my bowl had 2 fish balls and three shrimp wontons.  Plus extra soup as the kind lady waiting on us kept refilling our bowls.


This is why I so love Tsim Chai Kee -- their shrimp wontons have whole large, fat fresh shrimp inside, not the skimpy, skinny  cut up pieces you usually find in other (more expensive) places.  I also think their broth is smooth and seasoned just right.


After our noodle fix, time to head back up to Wellington Street, fortified with soup and dumplings.  The rain had stopped and the air had cooled a bit -- perfect for a first afternoon back in my second favourite city in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment